How to Sell Your House
10 Steps you can take to get your house sold in today’s market!
1. Purpose; Get clear on why you want to sell/move. What is your motivation? Why? What is your timeline? Why? Is your spouse or partner on the same page? What problem(s) get solved by selling? What are the benefits of selling?
2. Plan; pull out a wall calendar and put a plan together for selling your home. Select the ideal date you would like to move and then reverse engineer the steps it will take to get there.
3. Price it right; decide which pricing strategy works for your needs. Do you need a quick sale or do you need a certain $ amount? How you price the home will affect how long it stays on the market. Determine how pricing at, below or above market value will serve you.
4. Prepare the home for the market. They say you don’t get a second chance at a first impression and this holds true when it comes to selling your home. Start outside first and make sure the exterior of your home is in good condition and that the landscaping is maintained. Pay special attention to the walkway to the front door, the porch and front door itself. Studies have shown that a buyer will decide whether or not they are going to buy your house in the first 11 seconds of seeing it!
5. Pre-inspection - why not eliminate the unknowns before the buyer does? Hiring a home inspector to do a pre-listing inspection can uncover items that need to be addressed. It can be a big disappointment if an avoidable repair item kills the sale of your home.
6. Professionals...when it comes time to perform work on your home to prepare it for the market, whether it be a contractor, realtor, photographer or inspection...be sure to use licensed professionals. The value they provide will likely exceed the cost with the hope it reduces your stress.
7. Proliferate the message; don’t be afraid to let others in your world know you are thinking about selling your home. Take advantage of your network of friends, family and co-workers to help you sell your home! They can be a great source of experience and advice albeit sometimes too much advice!
8. Party; host a party for friends, family and neighbors a few days before you list the house on the market. It can be a great time of celebration, memories and closure as you transition from this home to your next one. It also gives these folks the opportunity to see the inside of your home and perhaps direct a buyer your way.
9. Process; selling your home is a fairly complex process that involves a lot of moving pieces and many steps on the path to closing the sale. Come to terms with the process and trust the professionals around you to do their job. Don’t be afraid to communicate with them if you are feeling uncertain about how the process is going.
10. Patience; selling your home and moving is not something most take lightly. It’s usually a big decision and creates disruption in life. Depending on your situation, moving may be a positive experience or it may be negative depending on your circumstances. Either way, patience can be a virtue because most of the time things don’t happen as fast as we’d like them to.
I hope you find as much value in this article as I did writing it! When it comes time to select a Realtor to work with, I would like the opportunity to apply for the job! Let’s explore the possibility! Tim Cornwell (360) 223-0190
Thanks! Your inquiry was sent successfully.